With the presentation of the prestigious BKD Indiana Quality Improvement Gold Award, BKD, LLP recognized HUEA for its stellar achievements, specifically throughout the past five years. Some of those successes include:
- Encouraging approximately $500 million of private investment in the Hammond Urban Enterprise Zone.
- Creating nearly 4,000 new jobs.
- Investing a half billion dollars in zone programs and projects, including business facade rebates; land acquisition and sale; site selection services and marketing; grants; scholarships; welcome light installations; zone beautification and signage; bike trail investments; and youth employment initiatives.
- Partnering with public and private enterprises to achieve mutual goals.
- Overcoming serious barriers inherent in a “Zone environment,” including brownfield reclamation, wetland degradation, unemployment, vacant business properties, and public image of the Zone area.